When your Mac is a bit older, you may not be able to download the most recent version of Office 365. First you may want to try to see if you can update your operating system
To do that:
- Click the Apple in your toolbar > "About this Mac."
- Click the "Update" button just below the OS version number.
- If it pulls up an update that you can install, go through it. It probably will take a while.
- If it tells you that your Mac can't take that version, then it can't. To be sure, you can check the info about your Mac to this list about OSX Sierra: https://support.apple.com/en-u
s/HT208202. If you CAN update to Sierra, there is a link on that page to do it.
If you can't upgrade your operating system, then MAYBE you can get MS Office 2016.
- Navigate to https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-to-go-back-to-Office-2016-for-Mac-15-xx-versions-from-16-xx-e88ed6c8-6fb4-40a1-9540-529000d3d20f.
- Scroll down a bit to the section marked "Install the latest 15.xx version of Office for Mac 2016" and click the link to download Office 2016. It will download a file that you can click to start the install.
- Agree to the licensing agreement and follow the steps to install it. If prompted to update it, just close out of that.