The Chat feature of Google Apps can do video and voice chat in addition to standard text-based chat. In order to utilize these features, you must have a webcam either built-in to your computer or a separate USB webcam. You can use the microphone and speakers integrated into your computer or use an external microphone, speakers, headphones or headset. Make sure your audio settings are not set to “mute.”
In order to use Google’s video chat, you must first set up the video chat plug-in following the steps below. Once you do so, others will see the “TV camera icon” next to you name in their chat list.
- Download the voice and video chat plug-in from http://mail.google.com/videochat
- If the program does not install automatically, double-click on the GoogleVoiceAndVideoSetup.
- Choose "Run."
- The plug-in will install on your computer
- Re-launch your browser and sign in to Google Apps.
- In the Chat section of your email screen, select the contact you want to call. If they have a camera icon next to their name, you can make a voice or video call to them; just click “Video & more.” If they do not have a camera icon, Google will use regular text chat for your session.