Carthage Email Signature Best Practices
* For more information on the Carthage College communication policies and guidelines from the Communications Office, please consult this webpage: https://www.carthage.edu/communications-office/resources/.
The Office of Communications makes the following recommendations for best practices in incorporating a signature in your email communicatons. Email signatures are an extension of College stationary. These best practices will help ensure that your carthage.edu email meets professional standards, represents the quality of your qork and the College's business, provides relevant information to support your business process, and presents a consistent, cohesive look to those we communicate with via email.
- Not all computers can read all fonts. Keep it simple. We recommend you use one or two very legible and commonly recognized fonts: Helvetica, Verdana, Calibri, etc.
- Black type is most legible. We recommend you use only black or gray text for your signature
Images and Graphics
- Different email clients process images in different ways. Therefore, including an image (the College logo, your actual signature, icons to social media) is not a best practice, or recommended. An image in your signature means you run the risk that a recipient will receive the image as an attachment, will be prompted to manually load images, or will see your images as nothing more than a box ith a red "X" in it.
- Background images or borders in your email should not be used. It can disract from the content of your email, make your email illegible, or even prevent your email from being opened or delivered.
- Keep your email professionals. A common mistake is to add a favorite quote for the last line. While this is perfectly acceptable for personal messages, quotations hould be left off College signatures.
- A suggested template for creating your Carthage email signature follows. Depending on your role at the College, not all fields may be applicabel. Use pipis (|) to separate items you would like to put on the same line. i.e. 262.551.0000 (office) | 262-551.0001 (fax).
College position title
Office or Department (if it's not obvious from your title)
Phone number (fax or cell number optional)
Email and web address
Links to social media
Vice President for Communications
2001 Alford Park Drive, Kenosha, WI 53140
firstname.lastname@example.org | www.carthage.edu
Follow us: www.carthage.edu/connect
Written by Molly Polk, 3/19/15Tags: email, Google