After you've connected your monitor, do the following:
1. Press the Windows Key + C to open the Charm bar.
2. Click Devices
3. Click Project
4. Click Second Screen
5. Click Extend
6. Press the Windows Key + C to open the Charm bar again.
7. Click Settings
8. Click Control Panel
9. Open the Display Section (This may be hidden under Appearance and Personalization)
10. In the left menu, click Change Display Settings
11. Select Screen Two
12. Select 1920 x 1080 (or whatever your resolution is) from the drop down Resolution menu
13. Press Apply