If you have a class that will be going on a field trip, you should NOT send an email to the all faculty-staff email list. Instead, send an e-mail to your local administrative assistant. Absences for athletic events should be sent to Sara Meyer (email@example.com); contact her for more information on that as it is a slightly different process than the one outlined below.
NOTE: The email you send to your admin assistant about your field trip must include the ID NUMBERS of the students instead of the names! It should also include all of the normal info about the date, time, and reason for the absence. Your admin assistant will then turn that information into a targeted email that only goes to the instructors affected by the absence.
Below is a link to a YouTube video that will show you how to get your students' ID numbers in about two minutes. If you have multiple field trips for the same course, save the list to resend for each trip. Your admin assistant has more work to do than you, and they don't have ready access to your course roster, so please do not ask them to do this for you.
Here is the link to the how-to video to find your students' ID numbers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwucd3n2708.
Here are the written instructions:
1. Log in to the portal at my.carthage.edu.
2. In the faculty course center on the main page, click the drop-down menu to the right of the course that will be travelling/absent.
3. Click "Class List." Your class list will appear.
4. Just above the class list, click the link to "Export to Excel."
5. Click the file download notification in the lower left corner of your screen. That will open the file in Excel.
6. Highlight the ID numbers in the appropriate column and copy the information in the spreadsheet.
7. In the email, paste the copied ID numbers in the body of the message.
This targeted email process can also be used for other groups that will be travelling, including student clubs or volunteer opportunities such as the Stratford trip. You will just need to use some alternative method to get the ID numbers.Tags: email, instruction